The proud Grandfather….Dennis Ballentine (aka “Big D”) with me and JC on his arrival, April 21, 2004.
I’m fortuntate that my dad and my mom live in Taylors, SC and we get to see each other often!
Like most sons, there are so many memories of growing up with dad…too many to list. But if I had to condense it to five things that I think of most often:
(1) Faith: Dad’s an usher at Taylors First Baptist (alongside former House member, Bob Leach). He’s served in various roles in the church and he and my mother laid a strong foundation for me in the church.
(2) Family: Dad and Mom have been married almost 40 years! I also can’t remember him ever missing one of my ballgames….or political events! Dad, I promise, no more midnight newspaper box stuffing of campaign literature….but that did help get me where I am now! He also loves being “Big D” to his grandkids.
(3) Military: He’s a Vietnam Veteran. A Navy man. He doesn’t talk much about it but I admire him for his service. He was on those small boats on the river with only maybe 4 or 5 guys. One guy on his boat didn’t make it back. Another was injured. Thankfully, Dad made it back in one piece. He served his country well and I enjoy watching him stand during Armed Forces Day ceremonies.
(4) Business: My dad started his own CPA firms years ago after spending years with the big firms. I admire anyone who steps out on their own like that after years of working for corporations. I also now know the sacrifices he made for me and mom during that transition.
(5) Sports: My dad first took me to Gamecock football games before I was 10 years old! Even today, we enjoy tailgating together…and even enjoy some of the games…sometimes 🙂 He’s also a pretty good putter on the golf course. I hope we get to play more than we have in the past.
Thanks for letting me brag a little about my dad y’all.
If you’re lucky enough to still have yours with you today – call him and tell him “Thanks, Dad. I love you!”